Am I mad to consider prepping for a serious emergency or disaster or am I mad not to? It feels like thinking the unthinkable.
I have made some small changes to my life recently just in case there is nuclear situation that effects the Ukraine, Europe or the world, or a nuclear accident at a power plant in Ukraine which might risk people not being able to go outside their homes.
- I have empty water bottles in my kitchen stacked together that I could fill up quickly.
- I invested in a new pair of sturdy walking boots and thick pairs of walking socks in case I need to walk a long distance anywhere at any time for any reason.
- I have purchased a new first aid kit and first aid book as my old one was a number of years out of date.
- I have purchased a radio that can be recharged by a hand wind up and used in an emergency with no electricity. It also has a phone charger on it.
- I have a new windup torch again charges through a turning handle which does not need batteries or electricity.
- I have purchased a number of protein bars which I eat normally anyway but I have more than I would normally have just in case I am suddenly in need of food and shelter in my home.
- I am going to hopefully clean out an airing cupboard on the weekend too so that I could use it as a shelter if needed in an emergency.
This is stuff that I never thought I would have to do but I am fearful that we are potentially closer to a nuclear catastrophe whether that be from a power plant accident in Ukraine or from the actual launching of rockets from Russia and it all feels so bloody unnecessary.
I feel guilty thinking and writing about this stuff. It’s easier to write down what I am up to on here than talk about this with others at the moment.